Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Creepily cheerful teen models, unite!

Some recent ad work.

I really wanted to go all out on these frames, for whatever reason, and as an experiment I put aside the trusty old clunky prismacolor markers in favor of colored brush markers. I'm deliriously happy with the results, and with the sheer fun of laying in tones by drawing with the brush pens. It actually saved me a step of tightening up the pencils, because I discovered I could just go in and start sketching with the medium-value marker, essentially tightening up the drawing as I went, and then laying in some black holding lines over the top of that. Each step just flowed into the next. The finals are that rare instance of being both more organic in approach, and more polished in appearance.
































































































It was raining (as Tim Chi Ly would say) fat people for most of the weekend and the 19-month-old peanut kept pleading to go outside (which sounds like this: "oh tide? oh tide?" If you find the big people are ignoring you, get all breathy and hysterical: "OOOHHHH TIIIIIDDE? OOOH-OOH TIIII-IIIDE?!!") Finally I get up, put on her rain parka and boots (that is to say, I put them on her). Edie's a fun kid but she's rather delicate, and I figure she'll discover she doesn't like it in two seconds and we can go back in. I spend the next two hours with a two-foot tall person dragging me by the index finger through every freakin' mud puddle in Ulster County. We'd go through a big puddle and I'd try to make a break for home, only to hear, "nope" and get yanked back.

No comments: